It is very rare that I am with someone and we decide to write a song from scratch. Far more often I see an “I’m stuck” scenario.
- Perhaps there is a melody but few words.
- Perhaps there are words but gaps.
- Perhaps the idea and direction is known but words need more focus.
- Perhaps someone just wants listening ears and to know what parts to change.
- Perhaps someone has many lines but needs to know what the strongest words are.
Personally, I like to write something as clearly as I can myself – and if I feel something is not working then I am looking for help to fix it.
We are all different. I think the best advice for co-writing is…
Plan to meet!
If you simply meet with the intention of bringing an idea with you, then you will spur each-other on. You will discover how people work and what their particular strengths are. You will soon feel whether this is a working partnership – or a good support.
Is your writing stuck – or not even happening? Plan to meet!